Thursday, September 11, 2014

Visiting the Bakery...a lesson in respect

Okay....yes ....I did it again.  Twice this week I went to work with my baker friend Kevin at the La Magie bakery here in Bend.  Once was last night, and I have learned so many things helping him and watching him work.  Now that I have had a year to bake on my own, I am noticing much more things about the way he works with the dough and he has offered many insights from his years of baking.  I am truly blessed and I appreciate his help.  It felt like the lightbulb went on in my head in regards to handling the gluten, and keeping the loaves looking nice.  As is often the case with me, I was overdoing how I shape the loaves, so he offered some pearls of wisdom that were excellent.  I respect his craftsmanship and appreciate his generosity.  It is hard to have a stranger hanging around your workspace that is normally your private domain.  A million thanks to Kevin.

 
 
At school, we made English sausage rolls  (more pictures to come) that we had to boil the sausage for and spread a tiny bit of Chinese mustard powder in the roll.  We also shaped and froze the Char Siu Bau, and made and baked the pieces for our gingerbread houses.  I was also able to unmold the raspberry gelee and made two sponges for bread making the next day.  What a great day. 
Decorating of houses, baking bread and special cake still to come.

Nana watching the Char-Siu Bau pork being shredded and hoping for drippings

Curry puff being rolled in a triangle of puff pastry

Hand-shaped sausage links being simmered to go in the English Sausage Roll

Sausage ready to roll in puff pastry with small smear of mustard and egg wash




2 comments: