Sunday, September 21, 2014

Let Them Eat Bread.....and they did!


Well I just had the largest bread sale of my career this last week.  I titled the sale "Let Them Eat Bread" and I was overjoyed to have orders for 96 Sourdough loaves and 74 Jalapeno Corn Bread loaves.  It was a great experience to use my equipment to the maximum and I was able to bake 32 loaves at once and had both ovens going.  It was non-stop baking for several hours and I learned a great deal about managing batches of dough that were that size.  I was pleased with the flavor and texture of the breads and am looking forward to more challenges as I continue to expand what I am able to offer our community.  I was also very pleased to see the reaction of my patrons as they seemed excited about the bread and were truly gracious.  I am now planning on 2-3 sales in October and will be posting that information soon on Facebook and on my website.  I did realize that a large cooling rack is imperative and will have to be part of the bakery soon.  I had bread everywhere and cooling all over the place.  Each time the timer went off....32 loaves came out of the oven.  That was amazing and fun and scary all at the same time.  My teacher had helped me work out a time frame for mixing the dough so that the processes could overlap well for the two different breads I was making.  Here are a few photos of the process this week.  I am even contemplating doing it again!


Jalapeno Corn Bread
Sourdough awaiting packaging


Sourdough right out of the oven cooling down

Both ovens full and baking

Sourdough loaves springing up from the heat of the oven


The house was full of the aroma of baked bread and it was a wonderful sight to see all of the bread packaged at the end and ready to go.  I will keep posting as the adventure progresses.  I  am grateful to be doing something that I love and is useful for my family and the community.  Happy Baking!


1 comment:

  1. That was the best loaf of sourdough ever! By the time I got to Denver I was fat and happy. Thank you. Todd Larson

    ReplyDelete