Sunday, September 1, 2013

In the beginning...

The Bread Doctor? The name gives one reason to pause. I am not registered with Facebook, and have never understood how anyone could have time to read or write a blog. These facts coupled with the reality of me writing this would suggest that miracles do occur. I decided to use this blog as a chronicle of a big adventure that I am about to embark upon. This adventure involves bread, pastries, chocolates and my family. I am a physician in a small town in Wyoming and have been married for 23 years to my loving wife and we have four children.
During my residency training, my wife gave birth to our daughter, Eleanor. She is one of the most happy children in our family and has been a joy in our family. Eleanor is deeply connected to her family and friends and loves spending time with them more than anything else, except watching movies. She was born with Down's Syndrome and has spent the last sixteen years putting forth great effort to master the everyday tasks of life and learning. As she has been getting older, I have been feeling a strong pull that some provision must be made for her to have a productive life after high school. As her father, I do not want her to wile away countless hours with inanimate electronic friends, or spend her adult years in a vocation surrounded by strangers, who may not care for her in the way that she deserves.  She is the most productive when she can work side-by-side with someone.  Recently, she peeled nearly a half-bushel of pears with me so that we could make pear-ginger preserves.  I have been thinking hard on how to include Eleanor in our future that will keep her productive.  I love baking and have gradually been working on cakes and breads through the years as well as pastries. 
 
Then, it hit me...why not consider opening a bakery for part of the week and continue to practice medicine the remainder of the week?  I do not have enough industrial baking experience and prompted me to explore training opportunities.  Today, I drove across parts of three states to come to Bend, OR to enroll in The International School of Baking for one month.  Marda Stoliar teaches a special class on "How to Start a Bakery."  I am here to learn about the specifics of the large scale formulas, techniques and equipment that will be necessary to try and make my dream come true for Eleanor and I to work side be side.  So, it is not a career shift, so much as it is a career splice.....The Bread Doctor.....wish me luck.  Class starts tomorrow.

15 comments:

  1. Good luck! I can't wait to hear all about it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I simply want croissants every day. For the next 23 years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll settle for croissant every now and then--Mark Bigelow

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on your new career adventure! I do believe I have standing order for orange rolls from 1988, right? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ezdan, you are the sweetest person! We love you and miss you and can't wait to hear more of your adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is fabulous!!! I have tried to respond and leave a comment a few times, but keep getting kicked out. Trying to use Google Blogger, but it must not like me. So if you see a few posts you'll know why. Glad Grace sent me the blog site! Looking forward to your month of baking and learning!! Loves...Aunt T.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is much more interesting than facebook. Everything looks wonderful and delicious. It makes me want to do better than the dutch oven bread and dry breadrolls I usually make.

    Have a blast in school!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just read your posts.. Loving your writing! I burst out laughing when you were explaining the dog and chasing after it yelling "chicken" crack me up. We are happy that you are in Bend.. I'm going to have to start up-ing my exercise.. with all the yummy bread you've delivered! I can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh so cool, I remember the bakeries in germany and how great they were. When I got home I really missed them. I just wonder how profitable one would be? Once you get started I might come up check it out. I always have loved baking too and am pretty good at it, when I do do it.
    --Trae

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ezdan, dear friend, I have in my collection a handwritten recipe from Nada: "Ezdan's doughnuts." Is it any wonder you are taking on baking???? It's in your blood. Very commendable. Very inspiring. We send our love. Darlene and Curg Johnson

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ezdan, You are an inspiration. I am a big fan of you and your family. I can always depend on you to be interested in my baking and cooking. I remember coming home from college and making poppy seed bread for the family and you always raved about my cooking and gave me confidence. Love your sister.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So amazing! Our family is so impressed and touched by your endeavor! We wish you and Eleanor every success :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ezdan, I just want to let you know how much I admire you as a doctor and tapper. I miss you and your family a lot. This is an amazing story and I wish you so much success. When I am in Torrington, I will definitely stop by for some treats. Love you

    ReplyDelete