Thursday, September 19, 2013

I just can't help myself......

Well, I just could not help myself and I went back the bakery last night for three hours and shaped rolls.  I know that must sound mundane, but learning to shape rolls is a little bit tricky.  You want them to be round and have good surface tension so that they will rise well and not sag.  I was told that I would start to feel comfortable after hundreds.  I shaped over 200 last night, and will be back there tonight to shape more rolls for this weekend.  Kevin, the baker, has been great to answer my questions and share insights.  I then went to class today and finished getting the cheesecakes out of the freezer and cutting up the pecan bars.  I also glazed a special chocolate cake called a Sacher torte.  It is an almond chocolate cake that is soaked in an apricot syrup and covered with chocolate glaze.  It was designed by a hotel chef and kept secret for many years. In addition to all of that, I baked batches of lemon chiffon and devils' food cake that we will be decorating and icing tomorrow.  Here are a few pictures of all the goods from the last two days.  We also bagged up the biscotti and I am bringing some home as a gift from my teacher.  I am headed to bed to get a few winks before I head downtown to where people are still barhopping while we are shaping and making bread.


Pecan bars
Raspberry Cheesecake

Key Lime Cheesecake

Chocolate Chunk Cheesecake

Mocha Cheesecake

Plain New York Cheesecake
Sacher Torte
(my teacher says this is a man's cake)

I tasted the cheesecake tonight finally after dinner and the filling is super smooth and fabulous.  Well, I asked for the total baking immersion experience and I am getting it.  The time has flown by and I am going to make the most of it.

2 comments:

  1. Ahhhh your passion for all things baking is palpable. You really bring your joy of baking to life for everyone through your commentary. That Sacher Torte of almond chocolate cake soaked in apricot syrup with chocolate drizzle sounds heavenly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am soo glad you are getting so much experience at doing so many bakery things. ROLLS are essential! Please take extra vitamins so you don't get sick from lack of SLEEP! Your sister LOVES you!

    ReplyDelete